Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php:3) in /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php on line 3

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php:3) in /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php on line 3
Taxes and Tax Assistance | Spokane, WA
Income Tax Help

5 ways to get your taxes done for


1)  "Free Software from the IRS.  If you have an adjusted gross income of less than $56,000, you can take advantage of this program.  Go to the IRS website to get the information.  NOTE:  These are e-filing software packages, so you will need to file online.   http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free 

2)  Volunteer Tax Assistance Programs.  If you are filing a basic return, the IRS sponsors a program called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, which can help people making less than $42,000 a year file basic income tax returns.   The volunteers are only trained on basic tax returns. 
You can also call the local city hall and state treasurer’s office to see if there are other programs in our area. 

3) AARP Offers Free Tax Counseling to AARP members.   The IRS has partnered with the American Association of Retired Persons to offer a program called Tax Counseling for the Elderly.  During the tax season ONLY, trained volunteers provide free, basic tax counseling and filing assistance to AARP members.  Call toll free 1-800-829-1040.    http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action

4)  Military Offers Personnel Free Filing.  The military probably has the best free tax help program, and it’s available worldwide to all armed forces personnel and their families.  Active duty and reservists can receive free tax help, including tax filing, at offices within their installations, where all types of filings, even the most complex, can be handled.  These offices are also equipped to file taxes electronically.  In addition, those serving oversees and in combat zones  automatically receive extended deadlines for filing returns, paying taxes and filing refund claims—and most other federal tax-related issues—for at least 180 days after the last day of combat or overseas service.  That also applies for military personnel injured in a combat zone.    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-Online-Tax-Filing-Available-to-Many-Military-Members

5)  Free IRS Phone or Walk-in Help.  Anyone can always get free tax assistance from the IRS.  Call the IRS with specific questions, and most IRS offices are open to handle walk-in questions about tax preparation.  IRS workers can help you with even the most complicated tax questions. 

Spokane IRS Office
920 W. Riverside
Spokane, WA   99201
(509) 353-0508

Finally, if you have numerous itemized deductions or you owe back taxes, or if you are on a payment plan, you should strongly consider going to a tax professional or tax preparation business.  They are better equipped to handle complicated tax returns.”
“Five ways to get your taxes done for FREE,”
Mellody Hobson, President of Ariel Investments in Chicago, 
Good Morning America, ABC News, February 2009)

  • Changes to Tax Laws.  The Washington State Department of Revenue has published a new edition of Tax Facts. Available online, Tax Facts is published twice a year and summarizes changes to tax laws administered by the Department of Revenue. The latest edition highlights 2011 tax legislation, information about filing your return, and other various tax updates. 
What You Can Do
  • 2016 - Spokane offers FREE tax help for low to moderate income families.  
    Nine locations:  Five take appointments, and the others are walk-in. 
    Open February 1 to April 15 (unless otherwise noted)

    IRS certified tax volunteers are ready to help throughout Spokane County.  Did you work in 2015?  Make less than $53,930 in 2017?   Single or married, with or without children, you likely qualify to get your taxes done free. Also, based on your earnings and family situation, you may get extra money back from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

    SITES by appointment ONLY:

    Call for an Appointment starting on January 12, 2018
    (509) 353-4851
    or visit a first-come/first-served site starting January 29. 
    Location and hours of operations are listed below. 

    Do you need to FILE
    a Federal Income Tax Return?  Find out here:

    Argonne Library
    4322 N. Argonne Road
    Tuesday, 4-7 pm
    Thursday, 1-4 pm

    Cheney Library

    610 1st Street
    Friday, 1-4 pm
    Select Saturdays 11 am - 2 pm
    Closed Feb. 16 and April 6

    Northeast Community Center
    4001 N. Cook
    Tues, Thurs, Fri,  10 am - 2pm
    Wednesday, 4-8 pm

    Spokane County United Way
    920 N. Washington St. Suite 100
    Tuesday, 4-7 pm
    Friday, 9 am - 2 pm
    Saturday, 9 am - 4 pm
    Closed March 13, 17 and 30

    Spokane Public Library
    906 West Main Ave.
    Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am - 2 pm
    Thursday, 2-5 pm

    Walk-In Sites.  First Come / First Served:

    Medical Lake City Hall
    124 S. Lefevre
    Wed and Thurs, 5-7 pm

    Moran Prairie Library
    6004 S. Regal
    Friday, 2-6 pm
    Saturday, 10 am - 2 pm

    Spokane Valley Library

    12004 E. Main Ave.
    Monday, 4-7 pm
    Friday, 1-4 pm
    Saturday, 10 am - 1 pm
    Open Saturday, Jan. 29
    Closed Monday, Feb. 19 for President’s Day

    What to Bring:
  • 2016 tax return, if available
  • Valid PICTURE identification*
  • Social Security cards, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for each taxpayer(s), family member and working adult
  • All income statements, such as 2017 W-2s, 1098, 1099 and/or 1099 forms for you and spouse
  • Any Form 1095 - Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, or proof of health insurance

    If applicable:
  • Proof of other income from you or spouse
  • Child care provider name, address and Tax ID
  • Property tax and interest information, if homeowner
  • Form 1098T & education expenses for students
  • Bank routing and account numbers for checking or savings account.

    An initiative of the Spokane CASH Coalition.  Visit http://www.spokanecash.org for more information, and to see if you qualify for free tax prep.  File your taxes for FREE at http://www.myfreetaxes.com.
  • Call 211 to find updated FREE tax help in Spokane.   Qualified student volunteers from some of our local universities (Gonzaga, Eastern Washington University, Whitworth University) are trained and certified by the IRS to help you. 
Local Organizations