Inventory Assets Before a Disaster
- Make filing a claim much easier after a loss from a fire or other disasters.
- Refresh your memory by providing a hard copy and complete listing of personal property that includes prices, model and serial numbers, and copies of receipts—to provide to insurance adjusters or police.
- Help you buy the right amount of insurance by insuring your assets properly. Particularly valuable items should be noted on the homeowner’s policy.
- Help when you file a claim, apply for aid, or try to figure out losses for tax purposes.
- Video every room in your house, shooting every book, DVD, dress, collection, etc.
- Use a spreadsheet to list each item, location, price, condition, model number, etc.
- Keep a duplicate copy of your home inventory in a different location, such as a relative’s home or online.
- The iPhone apps not only allow people to fill out inventories, they also allow users to attach photographs to the descriptions.