- Foster Children. Be kind to foster children who are not able to live with their own parents, brothers and sisters. Many of them are very sad inside, and need a friend.
- Keep the Homeless Warm. Collect warm clothing, socks, hats, scarves and gloves for the homeless; or, make and donate some of these items yourself.
- Homeless Shelters. Ask a shelter which items they would like you to collect for men, women, teenagers or children.
Items homeless people may need are: Clothes, books, music, chap stick, personal care items, first-aid kits, color crayons/colored pencils, hair items such as shampoo/combs/brushes, blankets, sheets, towels, disposable diapers, play dough, coloring books, toys, art supplies, model car kits, blow bubbles, dolls, and stuffed animals.
Hygiene kits in zip-lock bags for the homeless may include items like shampoo, comb, soap, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, and wipes.
Remember--Shelters are in need of supplies all year long, not just during the holidays!
- Laundry Soap. Ask your local community center or food bank if they would like you to package dry laundry soap in 2-cup sandwich bags or quart bags, to give to the homeless and needy. Purchase large tubs of dry laundry soap, and scoop it into the baggies. Write instructions for using the soap on each bag.
- Yard Sale or Craft Sale. Invite your friends and family to donate their treasures, time and talents to a sale for a good cause. Then, donate the money you receive to help the needy.
- School Projects. Adapt your school projects (book reports, speeches) around people who are homeless. This will enable your classmates to learn about the hardships of the homeless, and ways they can help.
- Make sandwiches. Buy ingredients for about 50 sandwiches. Then, gather friends and family to make sandwiches and sack lunches for a homeless shelter.
- Donate School Food. Ask your school if the cafeteria staff can donate left-over food to a local homeless shelter.
- Bake Cookies. Bake some cookies or another treat and deliver it to a homeless shelter.
- Serve a Meal. Help prepare and serve a meal at a homeless shelter.
- More Ideas. Find more ideas for giving service to people who are Homeless, on this site.